What is dual citizenship?
Dual citizenship means that you have two citizenships at the same time as a result of the interaction of the laws between two countries. A person can be a dual citizen by choice or by birth. An individual can be considered a Philippine dual citizen by choice through the process of RA 9225 while a Philippine dual citizen by birth is a natural-born Filipino who does not have to perform any action to acquire the citizenships. Dual citizenship only refers to those who have two citizenships at the same time. Those who possess more than two citizenships are considered to have multiple citizenships.
Who are eligible for dual citizenship under RA 9225?
Natural-born Filipinos who have acquired the citizenship of another country through naturalization may retain or re-acquire their Philippine citizenship, making them dual citizens of both the Philippines and the country where they were naturalized.
Who are natural-born Filipinos?
- A person who, at the time of his/her birth, has at least one Filipino parent,
- A person born to a Filipino mother before 17 January 1973 who elected Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority (21 years old) and
- Those who were born under the 1935 and 1973 Philippine Constitutions.
Who are not eligible for dual citizenship under RA 9225?
Persons who were naturalized Filipinos before acquiring the citizenship of another country are not eligible for Philippine dual citizenship. Those who are not natural born Filipinos are not eligible to apply under this Act.
Can my foreign spouse also become a Philippine citizen?
Yes, the foreign spouse of Philippine citizen can become a Philippine citizen through the process of naturalization and in accordance with Commonwealth Act. No 473, but not through R.A. 9225.
- Checklist of Documentary Requirements for Petition for Retention/Re-Acquisition of Philippine Citizenship under R.A. 9225
- Petition Form for Retention / Re-acquisition of Philippine Citizenship Under R.A. 9225
- Republic Act No. 9225 Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003
- Republic Act No. 9225
- Supplement for Dependent Retention/Re-acquisition of Philippine Citizenship